Video content is only getting bigger nowadays. With Instagram's cabinet full of features to make your content more accessible and inclusive to your audience, it might be time to dabble in Instagram TV (IGTV) or Reels. One of our favorite Instagram video features is that you can share your IGTV or Reels content directly to your feed. This gives your followers a nice teaser/preview of your video. And not only does this help bring more eyes to your content, but it also helps you with your content planning. Consider it one of your monthly content buckets or posts for the week!
We share every rule and trick to share IGTV videos and Reels to your grid in this post! Plus, learn how to keep your PLANOLY visual planning grid up to date with IGTV and Reels.
How to Share a Preview of Your IGTV Video to Your Instagram Feed
Here's how to access your Instagram TV settings and post your video to your feed.
- Tap the '+' icon in the top right corner of your account page. It will open a 'Create' menu. Tap 'IGTV Video' in the menu to create your IGTV post. After picking the video, you want to upload to your IGTV channel, then choose the thumbnail or frame you want your audience to first see of your IGTV video.
- After creating your IGTV video and thumbnail, write in your title and description of the video in the 'New IGTV Video' window.
- Once you've titled your video, you'll see an option to 'Post a Preview.' Toggle the switch on for your IGTV video preview to appear on your profile and feed. Note: Your video must be at least 1 minute long to post to your grid.
- The thumbnail of the video in your feed will default to the cover you uploaded onto IGTV. However, you'll also see an option to 'Edit Cover,' which will allow you to upload from your Camera Roll or scroll through the IGTV video and customize your thumbnail.
- The caption will appear as the title that you wrote for your IGTV video. But, of course, you can always go back and edit this once you've shared the preview.
- Your audience has the option to tap "Watch Full Video" in the bottom left corner of the preview to continue watching the full video on your IGTV channel. Note: IGTV video previews will have an IGTV icon in the top right of the screen.
PLANOLY Pro-Tip: If you choose to remove the IGTV from your Instagram grid, it will still be available to watch on your IGTV channel.
Having the option to share an IGTV video preview to your grid gives your content more exposure and visibility. With video content only getting bigger and more powerful, it's worth taking a stab at IGTV for real and previewing it on your feed so none of your followers miss your content.
How to Share a Preview of Your Reel to Your Instagram Feed
Instagram Reels can help grow your brand presence and are an important part of your IG content strategy. When you create Reels, it is automatically added to your Instagram grid. After creating Reels, you will have the option to edit your Reels 'Cover' to a specific screen within the Reels or add a Cover Image from your device camera roll.
To remove Reels from your Instagram grid, click on the three dots in the top right corner of the Reels once it has been posted. You will see an option to 'Remove from Profile Grid.' This will remove your Reels from the Grid, but keep the Reels in the middle tab on your IG profile page for followers to view. It's important to note that Instagram does not allow you to add Reels back to your profile grid once you've removed it.
How to Import IGTV and Reels to PLANOLY
Now that you've perfected your IGTV video or Reels content, it's time to continue visually planning your grid on PLANOLY. Instagram limitations prevent PLANOLY from auto importing IGTV or Reels to your planning grid. This can make your grid look "off" when you're in the process of planning. Not to fear! PLANOLY has a feature that will allow you to import your IGTV videos and Reels manually to keep your grid up to date.
Here's how to import missing IGTV or Reels to your PLANOLY grid.
- From Instagram, tap the three dots in the top right corner on a post you want to add to your grid.
- Select 'Copy Link.'
- From the PLANOLY Mobile App or Web Dashboard, click 'Add to Grid.'
- Select 'Import missing IGTV or Reels' as a source.
- Paste the Instagram link and click 'Continue.'
- Drag your post into the right spot on your grid, then click 'Continue.'
- Double check that your IGTV or Reels are in the right position on your grid, then click 'Done.'
You're all set! You now know the ins and outs of creating IGTV or Reels for your Instagram feed. Plus, you can keep your PLANOLY visual planning grid aligned with your IG feed using the steps above. For more information, visit our help guide here.