Instagram just changed the game (again!), and released their brand new IGTV feature. This exciting new platform allows users to upload longer videos, and is designed to function like social-media based television. They announced the IGTV feature on Wednesday, June 20, which set to motion a whole new standard of in-app videos. It's also made to watch on mobile devices since it's built for full-screen vertical videos. We can't wait to see how people start utilizing this new platform on their own Instagram profiles. The new platform exists on Instagram users' homepages, as well as being its own IGTV app. Users can upload hour-long videos to IGVT, meaning you can essentially start your own TV channel through Instagram. Is YouTube worried? We're feeling some deja vu in the way that Instagram created Instagram Stories, causing SnapChat users to decline. Only time will tell if users start favoring IGTV over YouTube. Read on to learn how to use this game-changing new feature and create your own channel!
How to Access IGTV
Currently, you can access IGTV within the Instagram app (just make sure your app is updated to the latest version!). In a few weeks, users will be able to download it as a separate app in the App Store or Google Play.
- The IGTV icon will appear in the top right corner of your home screen in the Instagram app.
- Click on it to see videos from Instagram accounts that you currently follow. You'll see a menu bar across the screen with topics including 'For You', 'Following', 'Popular', and 'Continue Watching'.
- You also have the option to search specific videos or users in the search bar on IGTV.
How to Create Your Own IGTV Channel
- Open IGTV within your Instagram app.
- Click the circular 'Setup' icon on the middle right side of the screen.
- Tap 'Create Channel'.
- Once your channel is created, tap the '➕' icon on the middle right side of the screen.
- From there, you will see all of the videos currently stored on your phone. *Tip: In order to upload, your videos must be vertical and between 15 seconds to 10 minutes long.
- When you select your desired video to upload, you'll come to a screen where you can edit the title, description, and choose to make it visible on your connected Facebook page.
- Click post to add the video to your channel. From there, users can access your video directly on your IGTV channel or by searching for your Instagram handle on IGTV!
This feature is ideal for expanding your creative ideas and producing content to engage with your audience on a whole new level. By sharing longer videos, you won't be as limited on your time; therefore you can do more than ever before on Instagram! We have a feeling this feature will be very popular with micro-influencers who don't have a YouTube presence. We hope this breakdown was helpful - let us know how you're using the new IGTV platform, and don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions!