- Directly upload, edit and schedule your creations from Canva without leaving PLANOLY
- Design content directly in PLANOLY with our image and video editing tools
- Source photography from a library of free stock images
- Discover and repurpose user-generated content
Instagram first launched the option for users to choose between a personal and business account in 2016. It continues to be a big question for brands and users when deciding whether to keep their profiles personal or change them to a business account. There are varying differences for both, so it depends on a number of reasons as to which option would be better suited for you. We're going to break down the differences, upsides, and downsides to each! Read on to dive in and learn everything you need to know about whether or not you should make the switch to an Instagram Business Profile. First, we'll start with the main variation between an Instagram Business Profile and a personal account, which is access to features such as Instagram Insights, Instagram Ads, contact information, and more. Being able to add your contact information in a clear and easy way (versus packing it all into your bio) is a gamechanger. With an Instagram Business Profile, users can tap to call, email, or visit a brands website directly from their Instagram page.
What are the upsides of an Instagram Business Profile?
- Instagram Ads: A lot of businesses rely on Instagram and Facebook ads to spread awareness of their brand, and put their business in front of a target audience. In order to have access to Instagram ads, you must have an Instagram Business Profile.
- Instagram Insights: A big reason why a lot of Instagram users switch to a Business Profile is the access to insights and analytics! Instagram's native analytics platform gives you an extensive amount of data on engagement, audience demographics, impressions, and more.
Insights for Instagram Business Profiles include:
- Gender follower percentage breakdown
- Age range
- Top follower locations (country and city)
- Total impressions for the week
- Top 7 recent posts
- Story Insights
- Impressions, reach, and engagement for each of the top posts of the past week, month, three months, six months, and one or two years.
- What days of week and times of day your followers are most active on Instagram
- Story Links Function: Instagram Business Profiles with 10k+ followers can now direct their audience to various links with the Story Link function. Whether it's products, event tickets, or websites - this feature is a huge plus for brands on Instagram to expand their monetary opportunities within the app.
- Contact Information: Another upside to having an Instagram Business Profile is the ability to add contact buttons directly onto your profile page. Add your email, phone number, and location for your audience to contact you easily!
- Promotion and Partnership Feature: This feature is super helpful for brands and businesses working with influencers, as you're required to disclose sponsored ads in each post. You have the option to easily add "Paid Partnership" to the top of a sponsored post, and it also provides you insights into the performance of the content. Learn more about the do's and don't's of sponsored posts here.
"A big reason why Instagram users switch to a Business Profile is the access to insights and analytics!" Tweet this.
As you can see, there are so many upsides when it comes to switching over to an Instagram Business Profile! It all comes down to what features you're looking for - if you're a brand on Instagram it definitely seems like the right move because of the many benefits and insights. The best part is that it's free and easy to make the switch, and you can always switch back if you still prefer a personal account! Update 11/14: The FTC recently released a disclosure statement for working with social media influencers. You can review the full document here.