February is national time management month, and what better way to end the month on a high note than with a post on best practices for Time Management? Today's post is meant to help you hone in on your Time Management skills, and ensure that your productivity throughout the week is easy to keep track of via our new time management worksheet. We're going to cover a few ways in which you can best create great time management practices, as well as how to jump-start the rest of the month to have a productive and prosperous year ahead! There are so many books, podcasts, and articles that have tips on time management. When it comes right down to it though, how we manage our time can sometimes look different to everyone. One thing is certain though: the common trend this year (thanks to Marie Kondo!) is that more and more we're trying to find ways to declutter our lives, plan for what's ahead, stay organized, and remain effective with our priorities. All of these things are great to keep in mind whenever you're creating a time management structure that works best for you, along with the everyday tasks and priorities that you want to include within your schedule. There are a few key practices that are always great to implement to allow for a smoother, less stressful workflow, and I'm listing them out for you below!
"Categorizing the things that you're working on each day will allow you to see where you're directing most of your time."
4 Things to Keep in Mind:
- Set an action plan at the beginning of the month or week to have an idea of what's in store.
- Categorize the things that are the most important so that you can check those off your list first.
- Finish each task without jumping into another one. Sometimes multi-tasking can get the best of us!
- It's always okay to say no to events/get-togethers to check more things off of your to-do list.
My best advice to tracking your time throughout the week would be to use a downloadable or print-off at home to have a clear view of what your days look like. This way, you'll be able to see everything that you're spending time on throughout the day, ways you can rearrange specific tasks, and opportunities for spaces or slots where you can save extra time during the week. *PLANOLY Pro Tip - Once you've tracked your time for a week or so and begin to see the patterns on your worksheet, come up with a separate list of things you would like to allot time for each day and try to implement that within your schedule.
5 Main Categories to Track Your Time In:
- WORK: tasks, meetings, events
- FITNESS: workouts, classes, health goals
- PERSONAL: family, side hustle, get-togethers
- SELF-CARE: therapy, church, spa day, hobbies
- SOCIAL MEDIA: posting schedule, blog posts, etc.
Categorizing the things that you're working on each day will allow you to see where you're directing most of your time. This, in turn, will help you also to shift a few things around if you need to and make room for other higher priority items throughout the week. *PLANOLY Pro Tip - Color code each category on your worksheet so that you can easily differentiate between each task.
How to Make Time Management Fun:
- Find a fun and aesthetically pleasing planner.
- Get colorful pens to take notes with!
- Use cute stickers for visuals and appointment categorizing.
- Use our Time Management Tracker below!