Have you ever seen viral videos on social media and wondered how you could replicate that success? We’ve got you. We have the industry tips on what it takes to make a video go viral. First, let’s briefly look at video content, specifically Instagram Reels, and why it is attracting more engagement than any other type of social media content right now.
If a picture is worth 1,000 words, a video is worth 1 million. And Instagram is paying attention. The once photo only app saw the power of user enjoyment with video content, prompting it to first allow short videos and then quickly increasing its video length permissions and providing more ways to create, post and interact with video on the app. It makes perfect sense. With more than 1 billion users on Instagram and 59 percent of adults in the U.S. using Instagram daily, creating video and reaching even a small fraction of that number can help your videos bring more attention to your brand.
How Reels & Video Content Can Grow Your Business or Brand
When we are talking about video generally, that includes Instagram Reels. Introduced in August, 2020, Reels are short, entertaining videos that can be recorded and edited right in the app and uploaded to a huge audience instantly. Reels are a series of 15-second video segments with super fun effects and sound options. Once ready to share, they can appear on your feed and in the Reels section where people who aren’t even following you (yet) can discover it.
Take a look at Instagram and TikTok user, Emily Mariko, for example. She is evidence that you can go viral with just one video as she did with her famous salmon rice bowl. And while the famous video wasn’t her first, it was the one that went viral and now people can’t get enough! So, what’s the first tip to go viral with your video? Do what you love. Create fun, authentic content with passion and energy and people will watch. Let’s talk about even more tips!
In a recent online strategy session led by Phoebe Sherman, CEO of Girl Gang Craft, and PLANOLY's Social Media Manager, Danielle Townsley, Sherman shared how she seamlessly creates, schedules, and plans Reels content. Additionally, Townsley shared her expert time-saving planning tips by using PLANOLY’s Reels Planner.
5 Expert Tips for Creating Reels
- Don’t get fancy, get creative! We are seeing that lower quality content recorded with a smartphone that is not overproduced is making a comeback. The main thing is to get your content on Instagram Reels and it doesn’t have to be perfect, it has to be fun and entertaining. Here are some content ideas to get you started..
- Have a strategy! Even with scrappy content, there needs to be a strategy behind it. Before hitting “record,” know what your goals are. Define what your audience wants and how you will create content to meet that need. Not sure? Check out the competition and see what’s performing well. After all, you are competing for the attention of the same people. Don’t copy what you see, use it for inspiration to create what’s authentic for you and your brand.
- Jazz it up! Make sure to utilize the editing features available in the app to help your video really come to life. Also, be sure to have somewhere for users to go from the video. For example, use text or sound to call out attention to click the link in your bio. Entertain with the video and leave them wanting more – click now! Other engaging editing tools are stickers, filters and so much more. Have fun!
- Sound on! Music and audio are trending with video and apps are making it easier to insert sound effects, music, and record voiceovers. Many audio trends are originating on TikTok first and then making their way to Instagram. Try using an already trending, viral song on Tik-Tok which is less popular on Instagram in your Reels.
Quick tip: Some people watch video with the sound off, so make sure to utilize on-screen text and closed captions.
- Look at the numbers! We would be amiss if we didn’t mention the importance of analytics and platform algorithms, both of which are ever evolving. The truth is video is what people want and Instagram knows this. Reels are your key to success on Instagram right now! Experiment with content and check out the performance with your analytics. Do more of what works and adjust what isn’t reaching people the way you want to. If you don’t know the algorithm basics and don’t measure your performance, you may be creating in the dark.
With Reels being the largest contributor to engagement growth on Instagram, by now it is evident that you cannot afford to miss out on this opportunity to reach new people and expand your following. By bringing your authentic self to the videos and utilizing the tips we provided in this post, your next video could be the one to go viral!
Remember that you have a social media partner in your pocket with the PLANOLY Reels Planner. The planner allows you to edit, upload, plan and organize unlimited Reels to your grid. Plus, you can even use it to repurpose your content for Facebook and Twitter! Get out there and start creating! We can’t wait to see what you make.