Cybersecurity Tips #1: Follow Password Best Practices
When it comes to online security, having a good password is essential. Passwords are your first line of defense in keeping your data safe.
Make your passwords difficult for anyone other than yourself to figure out. Be sure that your passwords are a minimum of 8 to 12 characters long and feature at least three different characters. Uppercase letters, lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols all work!
Another best practice is to change your passwords frequently. Don’t wait a year to change your passwords. Change them out every 2-3 months. And of course, the most important thing of all: don’t share your passwords with anyone! A largely overlooked aspect of online security is not sharing private information.
So, to recap:
- Passwords should be a minimum length of 8 to 12 characters long
- Passwords should feature at least three different character sets
- Passwords should be changed every 60 to 90 days
- Don’t share your passwords
- Don’t use the same password for all your accounts online