If you’re looking for advanced analytics beyond what’s available to you through Instagram Business insights, PLANOLY’s Analyze feature is just the tool for you! A game-changing resource for social media managers, creators, business owners, and agencies, PLANOLY’s Analyze tool gives you a clear picture of your audience engagement for better planning success.
Let’s dive into all this feature has to offer on both our web and mobile platforms. (To learn more about our Analyze feature for Pinterest, check out our blog: How to Use our Pin Planner's Pinterest Analytics Feature.)
Table of Contents
- Analyze Feature Overview
- Analytics for Free Users
- Premium Analytics (Web Dashboard)
- Premium Analytics (Mobile App)
- How to Use Analytics to Optimize Your Content Strategy
- Other Key Takeaways
Analytics Feature Overview
PLANOLY’s Analytics tool for Instagram is a powerful feature for planning content, reviewing content performance, and informing your future social and business strategy. Available as a main tab in your PLANOLY Web Dashboard or Mobile App, this feature provides both high-level and drill-down insights into specific metrics that break down your audience's engagement behaviors and demographics. PLANOLY’s Analyze tool also eliminates the need for manual calculations, allowing users to monitor their content performance seamlessly.
In addition, view key insights like your overall engagement rates and IG Post saves (to name just a few!). Choose a specific time frame to view analytics and data for your desired date range OR select a week, month, or year view for a quick overview. It's that easy!
Note: Free PLANOLY users with personal or Business Instagram accounts can view basic Instagram insights. Paid users with Business Instagram accounts can view advanced analytics, and data reporting from an unlimited time frame. Data collection begins after an Instagram Business account is linked in PLANOLY.
Analytics for Free Users
With a Free PLANOLY account, users who have linked an Instagram Business account will be able to view limited insights. On the Analyze web dashboard, you'll notice lock icons for metrics that can't be accessed.
PLANOLY Pro-tip: It's free to switch to a Business Instagram account. If you haven't already, switch today to start tracking your content's performance! Learn more:
Free Analytics Include:
- Followers Data: This data shows how your audience has grown within a specific start and end date range, along with the number of new followers gained or lost. (Follower numbers are collected starting from the time you linked your Instagram business account.)
- Post Engagement Overview: This data will show the total number of posts within that specified date range along with the likes and comments per post that you received. This includes data for images, videos, Reels, and carousels.
- Content Performance Totals: Your content performance totals can help you compare likes and comments from current vs. previous date ranges (week/month/year).
PLANOLY Pro-tip: Stay up to date with your insights by using our “Refresh” button. (Note: Free accounts are updated every 4 hours, and paid accounts are updated every hour.) This feature makes it even easier to stay on top of your metrics so you don't miss a beat.
Premium Analytics for Web Dashboard
A paid account on PLANOLY – along with a Business account on Instagram – will show everything within free analytics, as well as unlock the full range of premium features including further insights into your audience, a greater scope of engagement rates, and additional Instagram Post data.
With a paid plan, keep everything mentioned above available to free account holders!
Expanded Content Performance Totals
View the performance within any specified date range (no limits - go as far back as when you activated Analyze!) for your Instagram content - expanded from just likes and comments for free users. Let’s break down the specifics!
- Impressions: Total number of times all of your content has been viewed.
- Reach: Total number of unique Instagram accounts that have seen your media.
- Saved: Total number of unique Instagram accounts that have saved your media.
- Viewed (video): Total number of times all your videos (excluding Reels) have been seen.
What’s your audience like?
- Location: View top cities and countries where your audience resides.
- Gender: View the percentages of female, male, and unknown that make up your audience.
- Age: Navigate between all, men, or women to view the percentages within a specific age range of your audience.
- Activity: View the average times your followers are the most active on Instagram and switch between a view of hours or days. What's your engagement like? View your overall Instagram engagement by navigating between post, profile, and averages.
What’s your engagement like?
- Post: Navigate between all, photo, video, or carousel posts to view the engagement rate, impressions, reach, likes, comments, and saved (content).
- Profile: View profile visits, get direction taps (i.e., clicks), website taps, call taps, text message taps, and email taps.
- Averages: View total averages for posts based on engagement rate %, impressions, reach, likes, and comments.
What’s your content performance like?
- Grid: Choose between all, photo, video, or carousel posts and sort them by top engagement, top impressions, top reach, top likes, and top comments. Click on a specific grid post to view the engagement rate, impressions, reach, likes, comments, and saves for that post.
Export Your Data
Another convenient feature (not available through Instagram analytics!) is our Export CSV tool. With this capability, you can choose between exporting a CSV file for different format types of the following analytics: Overview, Audience, Engagement, Post Media.
This type of file is ideal for anyone who prefers to automate and/or format their own reports. This handy feature fills in the “download data” gap from Instagram, too!
Premium Analytics for Mobile App
Perfect for reviewing high-level insights on-the-go, check out the analytics features available to paid users on the PLANOLY mobile app!
View your current total number of followers, accounts you’re following, and the number of likes and comments received for your posts.
In addition, overview data over a specific time frame, including:
- Your total number of posts, likes, and comments
- Average numbers of likes per post and comments per post
- Number of followers gained and lost
Lastly, click “show top posts” at the bottom of your screen to view actual posts with the highest number of likes and comments! Here you’ll see the “top 15 liked” and “top 15 commented” posts, along with their respective number of likes and comments, for your specified date range.
Check out this video for a visual walk-through.
How Analytics Optimize Your Content Strategy
Beyond staying in-the-know about your content performance, here are some specific ways the analyze tool can optimize your social marketing (and business) strategy.
Repurpose Old Content
Using historical insights that go beyond the timeframe you’re limited to through Instagram’s analytics, PLANOLY Analyze makes it easy to repurpose existing content.
Here’s an example: Planning out your content for May? Filter your Analyze tab to reflect last May’s content and see which posts did well. From there, use data-driven insights to guide your content strategy. Save time planning and remove some guesswork in the process!
Create Automated Reports
Any social media manager or agency will know the importance of tracking and monitoring insights, then translating that data into shareable reports. Automate any manual processes by simply downloading reports through PLANOLY! Easily compare growth and engagement for any timeframe, including month-to-month for example, via our “Export CSV” tool right at your fingertips.
Expand Your Reach
Geographic data is a powerful way to understand your audience. Instagram shows you data about cities and countries your audience resides in, and PLANOLY’s Analyze feature builds upon that by showing you the actual number of users from your top cities and countries. Want to expand regionally or globally? Here’s the perfect resource to illuminate and help you jump on your unique geographic hot spots. (This also applies for age and gender analytics!)
Other Key Takeaways
- Metrics are currently unavailable prior to having an Instagram Business account.
- Your follower data is only available from the time your account is linked to PLANOLY and onward. (There is no historical data.)
Instagram analytics are critical to impactful content creation and meaningful, lasting engagement. Build your IG content strategy and elevate your brand's presence on social media with PLANOLY Analyze today! If you haven’t already, upgrade your account or start a free trial for premium access.
Need more support? Check out our help guide here.